Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Time out for bad behavior

Let's say I lost it on April 4th and it lasted for a few weeks. My over indulgence of cooked food wine and a few margaritas over the duration locked up my digestion to the point of concern, therefore I created a time out period for 3 days. What concerned me was that my belly felt like a rock when touched and remained bloated and painful. I could feel the lifeless food sitting there, taunting me to become a serious problem if I didn't address it. Therefore I began a 3 day juice fast. My girlfriend K.J. shares similar experiences and feeling about diet and didn't hesitate to join me. Her friendly support has been very helpful and encouraging.

Truth is it didn't become a reality that I'm actually doing it until today because I've never gone 2 days without solid food. I started the night before with Smooth Move, a gentle, herbal, laxative tea by Traditional Medicinals. Upon waking I sip 8 - 12 oz of lemon-water + 1 Tbs agave nectar. After yoga, we enjoyed coconut water. For lunch and dinner I made two juices and had several glasses of water throughout the day.

Juice #1 - Intuition told me this would be good.

Granny Smith Apple
Kale
Ginger
Cucumber
Celery

My friend had "Raw Food Made Easy" by Jennifer Cornbleet in the car while driving to Whole Foods. Glancing at the ingredients for juices on pages 40 - 42 it seems my intuition was right as far as core ingredients for the results I hope for during this time.

Energizing-Purifying Juice from book mentioned above.

Equipment - cutting board, chef's knife, 8 - inch, juicer, citrus juicer or reamer.
Hint: Last year I stopped thinking I had to exactly follow any recipe. Have fun!

2 celery stalks
1 carrot
1/2 chopped green or red cabbage
1/4 cucumber (I use more and add with my greens through the juicer)
4 kale or collard leaves ( I used half this amount - perfect for me)
15 parsley sprigs
1/4 cup coarsely chopped broccoli stalk
1 small radish, or 1 (1-inch) piece daikon radish (optional)
1 (1/4 inch) piece fresh ginger (optional, but I love spicy and add about 1-inch piece)
1 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (1/4 lemon; optional)

Juice the celery, carrot, cabbage, cucumber, kale, parsley, broccoli stalk and the optional radish and ginger. Stir in the lemon juice, if desired. alternatively, peel the lemon and put it through the juicer with the vegetables. Service immediately. Yield 1 1/2 cups, 1 serving.

I will end my fast in meditation tomorrow and begin eating fruit Friday morning and light salads for lunch. Thank goodness my body reacts fast when I give it a break. I'll save you the T.M.I., but if you ever do a juice fast don't be afraid to look in the toilet and think "you are what you don't shitake." Yes, you get it, I said it and we know it's true. This week I'm starting to think this might be more true than the adage "you are what you eat."
Naw....
food is a double edged sword. Ok, one bit of information. After day 1 I started eliminating
mucus. Check out Professor Arnold Ehret's book Rational Fasting for Physical, Mental and Spiritual Rejuvenation for more info.

Remember whatever you experience, it is yours! Claim it!

Sincerely, In Spirit,

Nicol

No comments: